MILWAUKEE — The Wholesale Milwaukee Brewers Jerseys cut $15 million in payroll for next season, trading right-hander Chase Anderson to the Wholesale Toronto Blue Jays Jerseyson Monday for prospect Chad Spanberger and declining a $7.5 million option on first baseman Eric Thames.
Anderson was 8-4 with a 4.21 ERA in 27 starts and five relief appearances. Milwaukee had planned to decline his $8.5 million option, which would have made him eligible for salary arbitration. Toronto exercised the option after the trade.
Thames, who turns 33 on Sunday, hit .247 with 25 homers and 61 RBIs in 149 games last season. He will receive a $1 million buyout.
Signed to a three-year, $16 million contract after establishing himself in the South Korean League, Thames hit 59 homers in three seasons with Milwaukee.
While Thames does not have six years of major league service, his contract included a provision stating he would become a free agent when the deal ended.
MLB’s reward season kicked off Sunday night with the announcement of the Gold Glove awards. (Finalists for the other major awards will be announced Monday, with rookies of the year winners named Nov. 11, followed by managers of the year on Nov. 12, Cy Young winners on Nov. 13 and MVPs on Nov. 14.)
Here are some nuggets about this year’s Gold Glove winners:
• Wholesale Colorado Rockies Jerseys third baseman Nolan Arenado has won a Gold Glove in each of the first seven seasons of his career. That’s the second-longest streak to begin a career in Wholesale MLB Jerseys history, according to Elias Sports Bureau research (Ichiro Suzuki, 10).
2019-20 Hot Stove League
Check in on the trades, free-agent signings and more, from now until pitchers and catchers. MLB Offseason page »
• Milwaukee Brewers center fielder Lorenzo Cain won his first career Gold Glove. Cain had 112 career defensive runs saved before this season, the most of any active outfielder to have never won a Gold Glove.
• The Wholesale Houston Astros Jerseys ‘ Zack Greinke won his sixth career Gold Glove, although it was the National League award from his time with the Wholesale Arizona Diamondbacks Jerseys. All of those have come in the past six seasons. The only pitchers with longer streaks are Jim Kaat (16 straight), Greg Maddux (13), Bob Gibson (nine) and Bobby Shantz (eight).
• Wholesale Boston Red Sox Jerseys right fielder Mookie Betts won his fourth straight Gold Glove. He joins right fielder Dwight Evans (1981-85) as the only players in Red Sox history to win at least four straight.
• Left fielder Alex Gordon, whose contract option was not picked up by the Wholesale Kansas City Royals Jerseys, won his seventh career Gold Glove. The only player in Royals history with more is second baseman Frank White (eight).
Perez always puts defense 1st as he wins Gold Glove AwardCleveland Indians catcher Roberto Perez says he takes great pride in his defense and it is great to have his efforts recognized with the 2019 AL Gold Glove Award.
• Wholesale Cleveland Indians Jerseys catcher Roberto Perez, who won the first Gold Glove of his career, had no passed balls this season in 993⅔ innings caught. That’s the most innings caught without a passed ball since Johnny Bench in 1975 (1,002⅔ innings).
• In addition to Perez, seven other players won their first Gold Glove: Wholesale Seattle Mariners Jerseys pitcher Mike Leake, Wholesale Chicago White Sox Jerseys second baseman Yolmer Sanchez, Wholesale Philadelphia Phillies Jerseys catcher J.T. Realmuto, Wholesale St. Louis Cardinals Jerseyssecond baseman Kolten Wong, Diamondbacks left fielder David Peralta, Los Angeles Dodgers right fielder Cody Bellinger and center fielder Cain of the Brewers.
“We’ll continue to be in touch with Eric and his agent and we’ll see if there’s a fit at some point later in the offseason but at this point, at the dollar value associated with his club option and with the market we see developing at that position, we thought it was in the best interest to decline the option,” Brewers general manager David Stearns said,
Anderson, 31, was 38-27 with a 3.38 ERA in 166 appearances over four seasons with the Brewers, who acquired him with infielders Aaron Hill and Isan Diaz from Arizona in January 2016 for Jean Segura and Tyler Wagner.
Anderson went 12-4 with a 2.74 ERA in 2017 and signed a two-year, $11.75 million contract with a pair of club options.
“Given there was a team that clearly had interest in him and we were able to get back a prospect that we liked, we thought it was the right move to make,” Stearns said.
Spanberger, a first baseman and outfielder, hit .237 with 13 homers and 59 RBIs this season at Double-A New Hampshire. Selected by Colorado in the sixth round of the 2017 amateur draft, he was acquired by Toronto in the July 2018 trade that sent reliever Seunghwan Oh to Colorado.
“We think he fills in nicely at the upper levels of the minor league system,” Stearns said.
Milwaukee also exercised a $1.85 million option on catcher Manny Pina, who would have received a $150,000 buyout if it had been declined. The 32-year-old hit .228 with seven homers and 25 RBIs in 158 at-bats this season, his fourth with the Brewers.